I have officially been participating in Lakes Area Multisport events for a year! Last fall I attended their end of the year banquet and I recognized a few people from working out at “The Gym” in Nisswa. This year I knew almost everyone in the crowd. I may not know their age, employment status, or what they look like when not in workout clothes, but I still consider them friends.
- Similar Interests– Not many of my friends consider early morning workouts a good idea. This group makes it a priority to get a workout in, without sacrificing family time.
- Healthy Habits– While we schedule many workouts from Zorbaz, and enjoy a beer afterwards, its social drinking, not raging.
- Different Philosophies– Newbies, Elites, Ultra Runners, Swimmers, Bikers, this group has it all. For different questions I can go to different people and get experienced tips and tricks.
- Money Saving– The workouts that we do together are usually outside. Every now and then we’ll go to the Y, but those are $20 or less for a couple hours of work, completely worth the cost. Also, everyone has different budgets for gear, so you can ask around and figure out what will be best for you!
- Inspiring– Instead of being solely focused on my own goals, I’m aware of what other people are working on. When I see them putting in the hours and miles towards a goal, I’m inspired to do the same.
*5 especially this past weekend. I was invited to do 8 miles at 6:30 am, but that’s earlier, and the last time I did 8 I was hurting for a couple days. So I was going to skip, I discussed a short distance with another friend, but I found out there was dance practice on Saturday (there usually isn’t) so I was really going to skip. But then I got in bed at 9 pm on Friday night, and I decided to see how I felt in the morning, and then the start was pushed back to 7:30 and I was sold. I ran 8 miles using a run 3 minutes 30 seconds, walk 1 minute interval. And I didn’t die. And I had some discomfort, but no serious pain. I still went to dance practice, and later went out with friends, and that 8 miles on made me feel stronger. And without the multisport group, I never would have met these women, and I never would have ran 8 miles in 0 degrees, when I was tired and had plans for the rest of the day. So join. You don’t have to be fast, talented, or outgoing. Simply attend a workout, see what happens. You might surprise yourself.
Do you enjoy working out with others? Or do you prefer to workout on your own?